Cyna Games Forum � November 22, 2002
Cyna Games
35332 Posts in 1434 Topics by 9988 Members. Latest Member: PieLam
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Community home  Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: November 22, 2002  (Read 20722 times)
Nao
Grumpy Creator
Mahjongg Emperor

Age 49
From Paris, France

Full geek, semi-retired.

« on: November 22, 2002, 00:00:00 »

Cool things happened. First of all I fixed all my fullscreen issues (there were a lot !) and the game can now be played at any resolution. I also made sure VSync was enabled in fullscreen only if specifically asked. And that's where the fun begins... While keeping the same resolution as in non-fullscreen mode (1024x768x32), I switched to fullscreen and performance jumped from 220 FPS to... 405 FPS !! And that's with mid-res realistic tiles ! Simple cube tiles reach over 700 FPS, can you imagine that ? Of course these numbers are only theoretical since our eye can't distinguish more than 80-100 frames a second... Wink But it's a 2x jump in speed. I tested the code on my GF3 machine and unfortunately there is no improvement at all. ATI confirmed that this is a known issue with their drivers : they're optimized for fullscreen modes only, not windowed modes (I verified this on the DX8.1 SDK samples). I'm a bit surprised because KMJ 18.75 runs at 200 FPS both in fullscreen and windowed modes... Only the upcoming version reaches 400+ FPS on Radeon 9700s. Well that's good news anyway, isn't it ? I don't know if ATI will ever optimize their drivers (they told me it was unlikely because most DX games run fullscreen, and I guess I can understand their point), but if you have a Radeon I'm sure you'll be waiting for the new release even more impatiently than everyone else ! Wink

My dearest friend if you don't mind, I'd like to join you by your side...
Where we can gaze into the stars... And sit together, now and forever,
For it is plain as anyone can see... We're simply meant to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: